Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home because it keeps the outside elements (like water, snow, wind or sun) from getting into your home. Surely, roof replacement can be an expensive and stressful project but it’s something every homeowner should stay on top of.
When properly installed, a brand-new roof can last you anywhere from 20 to 25 years. But like all things, a roof can begin to deteriorate before that. Whether it’s your forever home or you’re planning to sell it in the future, roof replacement should always be your top priority.
There are several factors that can contribute to the deterioration of your roof, telling you it’s time to replace it. Here’s how to determine whether it’s time to invest in roof replacement.
How Do You Know It’s Time for Roof Replacement?
- Age – The life expectancy of a typical roof is usually anywhere from 20-25 years as long as it is taken care of. When your roof’s age is getting close to the 20-year mark, it’s time for an inspection. Another way to determine whether it’s time for roof replacement is seeing your neighbors replacing their roofs. Why? Because the homes in your neighborhoods were most likely all built around the same time, meaning they need the same level of care.
- Missing Shingles – Be aware of the condition of your shingles. Shingles begin to buckle and curl when hot air and moisture build up. By keeping your roof properly ventilated you can keep the moisture from your attic from getting to your roof. If your roof is not properly ventilated, it can cause premature wear and tear, and will decrease the lifespan of your roof. Missing shingles are a problem as well. Shingles that are falling off or missing are an indication you roof needs to be replaced. In addition, you should always inspect your roof after heavy storms that include high winds or heavy snowfall.
- Dark Spots – Roof shingle granule loss can be due to normal shingle wear, hail damage wear or may be defective roofing product. You can see shingle granule loss from simply looking at your roof from the ground. Do you see areas on your roof that are dark and are missing granules? Or are you finding granules in your gutters or on the ground at the end of your rain spouts? Contact a roofing contractor to have an inspection done to find out the cause.
- Moss Growth – If you are noticing excessive amounts of moss on your roof, it is due for an upgrade. Moss thrives and feeds off of moist environments and can cause a lot of damage to your roof. Not only can moss pull shingles apart as it begins to spread, but if it freezes, it can affect the granules on your shingles and cause them to break off. Moss should be removed from your roof as soon as it is detected.
- Faulty Insulation – If you are noticing wet areas in your attic insulation or can see daylight peeking through your roof when standing in your attic, there is visibly something wrong with your roof. Both of these things should alert you to contact a roofing contractor to inspect your roof before the damage gets bad.
Did you know that many insurance companies use the age of your roof when providing a rate quote? Some may even charge a surcharge if your roof is over 15 years old and you could even be declined insurance coverage for your home. Replacing your roof can improve your insurance rates and make it easier to acquire lower premiums.
Ready to schedule your roof replacement?
Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation with a professional from Brandywine Exteriors. We are your expert roofing contractor serving Wilmington, Newark, Hockessin, Middletown, West Chester, Media, and Elkton and many surrounding areas.
Brandywine Exteriors is an Owens Corning Platinum Certified Contractor offering a 50-year Platinum Warranty. You won’t find a better roofing warranty than this!
DE: 302-746-7134 | PA: 610-388-3300 | MD: 410-528-5930