Does Your Home Need a Siding Replacement?
The exterior of your home has a big job. It has to keep the elements outside from creeping in and damaging the interior. It also needs to keep the interior of the home comfortable and safe. When all five exterior elements of the home; roof, siding, windows, doors and gutters are doing their job, the interior will be safe.
No matter what type of siding your home has; vinyl, cement board, aluminum or wood, it is important to perform regular inspections to ensure that it’s up for doing the job. When ignored, faulty siding can lead to costly repairs on your home’s interior. To avoid these costs, identify and replace compromised siding before it works its way inside your home.
Faulty siding can affect a home’s interior, such as ceiling, walls and flooring. It can also cause utility bills to increase. We thought it might be helpful to share the signs that your siding is no longer up to the task of protecting your home.
9 Signs Your Home’s Siding Needs Replaced:
1) Rotting or Warped Siding Boards – As you walk around your home’s exterior look for any boards that are bowed or showing signs of rot. Check to see if the under layer is soft or deteriorating.
2) Cracks, Gaps or Loose Siding – Any of these factors can allow moisture to get behind the siding where it could seep into your home’s interior. If it is located to one area where maybe wind pried a board or tow loose, you may be able to do a simple localized repair.
3) Frequent Need to Repaint – Having to frequently apply paint or stain to your siding is an indication that your siding might be failing, especially if there is severe pealing, chipping or cracking.
4) Dry Rot — Moisture fuels the fungus that causes dry rot, which is a foe to any type of wood siding. This is often happening behind the surface beyond the naked eye. Tapping a rubber mallet on the siding will often help detect dry rot.
5) Holes in Siding – Most of the time, tiny holes in the siding are caused by insects trying to get into your home. While this is a problem in and of itself, even the smallest of holes will allow moisture to get behind your siding and possibly seep to the interior walls or ceilings.
6) Bubbled or Blistered Siding – These are signs of moisture being trapped behind the siding. Excessive moisture or heat exposure can compromise the siding and cause the bubbling.
7) Fungus, Mildew or Mold Growth – While small amounts of growth in shady parts of your home is usually easily treated , any growth on or near the seams might be sign that water is seeping through and being held in the wall.
8) Severe Fading – Constructed to hold its color for their lifespan, fading is a good sign that a siding’s ability to protect your home has run its course.
9) Skyrocketing Utility Bills – Higher energy bills are a sign that some part of your home’s exterior is failing. A full inspection of siding, roofing, windows and doors can help determine the culprit.
If you determine a full siding replacement is necessary, get a couple estimates from highly rated local siding contractors. Discuss the different siding options available, as well as which best meets your needs and budget.
Brandywine Exteriors understands that proper siding replacement can protect your investment. We provide exceptional service and value when it comes to a siding replacement for your home. Our contractors us the highest quality materials so that your investment lasts longer and protects your home better. That will save you aggravation and money down the road.
Brandywine Exteriors is a local, family run, roofing, windows and siding company that is looking to help you take any guessing out of the insurance claim process, and make it as simple and easy as possible. We will be here from beginning to end and are just a phone call away!
DE: 302-746-7134 | PA: 610-388-3300 | MD: 410-528-5930